By Mitch Carmichael, Secretary, WV Department of Economic Development
There’s no better place to build and grow a business in the Eastern United States than West Virginia. I’m going to tell you something about West Virginia that really hasn’t been talked about enough: West Virginia is winning—and we’re only getting started.
We have expanded our efforts to bring additional investments to West Virginia. The state is changing and creating policy positions necessary to continue the momentum that we have built, and then the value proposition that West Virginia takes to the world with your help to recruit companies and businesses to West Virginia.
We have the right policy positions in place—and the right team—to market that proposition to the world. This isn’t accidental. Over the past several years, we have continually worked to bring the Mountain State into the spotlight. Through those efforts, the West Virginia Department of Economic Development is busier than ever before. West Virginia is growing, and companies worldwide are learning of the West Virginia advantages and saying “Yes, West Virginia.”
Why West Virginia?
- West Virginia has received awards from the U.S. Chamber of Commerce as the most improved judicial climate in America.
- West Virginia is one of only a few states in America that provides no-cost community and technical college education to every citizen in the state.
- West Virginia’s cost of doing business is among the lowest in the country, ranked #10 for the best business climate in Business Facilities 2021 State Rankings Report.
- West Virginia is within a day’s drive of half the U.S. population and a third of the Canadian market.
- West Virginia’s workforce recorded the lowest manufacturing turnover rate in the country and below the national average turnover rates in all other workforce categories.
- West Virginia is a great place to play, raise a family and build a life.
- In West Virginia, we work hard to make sure our business climate supports more profit and less loss for you.
- No new business taxes in the last 20 years
- Rated 22nd nationally for State Business Tax Climate
- Eliminated Business Franchise Tax in 2015
- Reduced Corporate Net Income Tax in 2014
- $800 million of business tax burden removed over past eight years
Recent Wins Include:
- NGK: Investment: $6,500,000
- Berkshire Hathaway: Investment: $200,000,000
- Precision Castparts/PCC Metals: Investment: $ 300,000,000
- NorthStar Technologies: Investment: $1,200,000
- Pure Watercraft: Investment: $10,000,000
- Owens & Minor: Investment: $50,000,000
- Nucor: Investment: $2,700,000,000 (largest in state history)
- Green Power: Investment: $6,700,000.00
- Papier-Mettler: Investment: $48,000,000
Our team is motivated and inspired by the work that we’re doing together and collectively to bring jobs and opportunity and hope and a bright future to the citizens of West Virginia. We know that it’s the right choice to always say #YesWV… and we know that the rest of the world will soon be saying it too. Visit westvirginia.gov and connect with us today.